Titanium plate and 4 screws in neck, gallium, radiation tx

Cutaneous B-Cell Lymphoma and Lymphedema, Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma and Lymphedema, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Kidney and Renal Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Renal Cell Carcinoma, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Testicular, arm swelling, Skin Cancer, angiosarcoma, kaposi's sarcoma, gallium scan, axillary node dissection, gynecological cancer, axillary reverse mapping, lymphatic cancers, inguinal node dissection, cancer treatment, Complete decongestive therapy for arm lymphedema, lymphedema therapy, intensive decongestive physiotherapy, breast cancer related lymphedema, upper limb lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Titanium plate and 4 screws in neck, gallium, radiation tx

Postby cured4real? » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Can you get radiation if you have titanium plate in you? I imagine it will effect the gallium scan I'm getting. Does anyone know if I'm even able to get radiation tx with the plate? Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Just wanted to know. It certainly wasn't something they told me when they put the plate in, and they didn't tell me they were going to put a plate in before my surgery.
cured4real?

Postby patoco » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi Ya Cured

I haven't found anything that would indicate there should be a problem with the titanium plate.

But just to make sure and to rest your concerns, why don't you call up the clinic where the test is being done and just lay it on the line to them.

Express your concerns and press them until they give you satisfactory answers.

Best to You

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Thanks Pat, called them to check on prep and plate

Postby cured4real? » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi Pat, Thanks for your advice. I called them and I got to talk to the person who will be doing it and my confidence level rose alot. I guess they are used to doing them and he explained that the directions I was given were basically right, although he said that I get the shot of gallium in the morning of the first day then come back in the the afternoon and they do the first scan. Then every morning after they keep scanning to watch it flow through. He said that he can still see the colon ok but recommended having some fruit juice or something that would make me go before coming in to get a better scan, if I'm worried. He said they'd see the plate and screws, but it was no problem. All in all, I'm glad I called because it makes more sense and now I know which building to go to! I guess my plate will be nice and shiny! I'm so glad I'm getting this because the skin outside my lymph node on my neck is getting red off and on and itching sometimes. It's probably really infected. I will probably end up going to the ER tomorrow to get antibiotics and pain meds. All I need is gangrene or something. Thanks so much again, Pat. I hope that all is well with you and sending good wishes your way.
cured4real?

Return to Lymphedema and Cancer Information