My first LE evaluation and shocked

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

My first LE evaluation and shocked

Postby JacquieC » Wed May 16, 2007 1:37 pm

As you recall back in Aug 2006 I had a bout with cellulitis for the first time in my lower right leg. Long story short, took 9 months for my primary doc to send me to a Vascular Surgeon who made the diagnoses 2 weeks ago and gave me the number of an incredible therapist, she in such demand she doesn't do any advertising at all, she trained in Germany, we talked about the custom fitted garments and she has them made in Germany. I also got to see a Farrow Wrap too while I was there :D

This brings me to today, I went for my eval. I knew my left leg and foot had began swelling too, so I thought I had LE in both lower legs, after examination and history turns out I have it in both legs all the way to the groin area. Lower legs are end of stage 2 and beginning 3, thighs and groin are a stage 1.
I also learned that I have BOTH primary and secondary LE. I've also had several surgeries thru the years and I never knew that with some of those surgeries lymphnodes were removed. I now have a call into my surgeon who did 2 of the surgeries 4 yrs ago to see if we can obtain the surgical records to find out which nodes were removed.
The so called "holes" that I had fluid leaking out of 4 months ago, are lymphatic cysts, I have 4 of them and they are the size of the head of a pencil eraser, she said if my LE were left untreated they could get as big as a quarter.

She explained the therapy, told me to drink LOTS of water and start immediately.
She mentioned that once we get the fluid moving and get it to come out that it could make me very nauseated so drinking the water will help with dilution...anyone experience this?

I was told 3 yrs ago I had a small cyst on my right ovary, had one ultrasound 2 yrs ago and it hadn't changed so I am having an US done next Thursday to see if its still there, this could effect my therapy and not being able to do the massage in the abdomen, so please say a prayer the cyst is gone.

I thought I was holding it together pretty good, until today when I found out just how far the LE is, I had no idea. Thank God the hubby was with me because as soon as I stepped outside the doors I totally lost it.

The good news is she said that I am very treatable and should have a good prognosis.

So why am I still crying? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Peace
JacquieC
JacquieC

Postby joanne johnson » Wed May 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi jacquie,
You certainly have a very interesting history! You are crying because you received some startling news. But the good and wonderful news is in your last sentence... Your condition is very treatable. How fortunate for you that things will be getting better and you will be a happy camper in the future.

I am very happy for you and wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted as we all care about you :D
joanne johnson

Postby JacquieC » Sun May 20, 2007 4:39 am

Thank you Joanne for the kind words and support.

I've had time to let things sink in since the evaluation and even though it may not have been what I wanted to hear I am still truly blessed.

I have a wonderful husband and son whom I adore, a roof over my head, food on my table, clothes on my back, medical insurance, an awesome LE Therapist right around the corner and so much more.

Just being on this board and seeing how some have no insurance to get treatment or have to drive hours for a doc or treatment just breaks my heart :( and at times angers me because it shouldn't be that way
JacquieC

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories